Surrey is undertaking several consultations and it seeks your comments by 4 January 2019
Despite changes to recycling centres last year, Surrey’s financial pressures are so severe that consideration needs to be given to whether further savings can be found at community recycling centres.
Surrey’s proposals include:
- Permanently closing a number of smaller, less effective CRCs, whilst
increasing the opening hours at some CRCs. Up to six CRC sites are
under consideration for closure: Bagshot, Cranleigh, Dorking, Farnham,
Lyne and Warlingham.
- Introducing a charge to dispose of construction wood and roofing felt.
- Increasing the cost of disposing of items we already charge for.
- Charging an annual application fee for van, pickup and trailer permits.
There are no recycling centres in Elmbridge and residents would probably use
the centres in Leatherhead or Epsom which are not proposed for closure, but
whose opening hours may change.
Further details on all the consultations and the opportunity to submit views on
these proposals can be found here. The consultation response is at the bottom of the consultation webpage.
The analysis of the responses to the consultations will be presented to Surrey’s cabinet in January 2019 for consideration and then to full council in February.
Recycling centres are currently free to Surrey residents using a car, for household and for non-household waste. The centre recycle over 30 different types of household waste materials.
However from 4 December there will be no free daily allowance for householders of chargeable non-household waste such as rubble, plasterboard and soil.
According to the SCC information, the following charges will apply for:
- Tyres from cars, motorcycles and all other motorised vehicles (including non-motorised vehicles and trailers pulled by a motorised vehicle): £5 per tyre or part tyre.
- Waste from construction, alteration or repair of your home and garden including:
- Breeze blocks, bricks, rubble, soil, stones, ceramic bathroom fittings, tiles: £4 per bag or part bag of this waste (Bags no bigger than 50cm x 77cm)
- Concrete fence post, ceramic bath, cistern, paving slab: £4 per item
- Plasterboard: £4 per bag or part bag or per sheet of this waste (Bags no bigger than 50cm x 77cm and sheets no bigger than 120cm x 240cm). From 4 December 2017 the cost per sheet of plasterboard will increase to £12.
If these materials are loose, a charge of £50 will apply per car load.
Additionally, if you are bringing household waste in either a van, pick-up or trailer you will need to obtain a van permit before your visit.
From 8 January if you need to dispose of non-household waste (such as from DIY projects) in a van, it can only be accepted at the larger recycling centres – this includes the one at Shepperton.
Full information can be found on the SCC site